The Culture of Connection in the Brain: Meet Your Basal Ganglia
Listen in to hear Caleb and Bridger dig back in to the short series of articles of Koziol and colleagues detailing a new way to understand the function of the various systems that make up our interconnected brain and give way to an emerging and complex mind. The title of the article discussed in this episode is Large-Scale Brain Systems and Subcortical Relationships: The Vertically Organized Brain.
Here’s the abstract from the article:
This article reviews the vertical organization of the brain. The cortico-basal ganglia and the cerebro-cerebellar circuitry systems are described as fundamental to cognitive and behavioral control. The basal ganglia anticipate and guide implicitly learned behaviors on the basis of experienced reward outcomes. The cerebellar-cortical network antici- pates sensorimotor outcomes, allowing behaviors to be adapted across changing settings and across contexts. These vertically organized systems, operating together, represent the underpinning of cognitive control. The medial temporal lobe system, and its development, is also reviewed in order to better understand how brain systems interact fo both implicit and explicit cognitive control
To read along, download the article here!
Did you know? After full completion of Beyond Healing Institute’s Somatic Integration and Processing training, each participant can receive 21 NBCC hours.
Beyond Healing Center
- Visit our website for all things BHC
- Contact us about retreats and therapy
- Contact us about training and consultation
Beyond Healing Media
- First, listen to our past episodes of EBT here
- Then, check out more Beyond Healing podcasts
- Give your support and gain access to exclusive content through Patreon
Interested in supporting a child?
- 100% of the proceeds donated to the Burntout Educator will provide therapy for a child in the public school system.
- Not therapy capped at a certain number, but an open-ended relationship with a highly qualified therapist in the BHC network.
Connect with us on social media: Facebook & Instagram
Executive Directors: Jennifer and Ryan Savage, Melissa Bentinnedi, Bridger Falkenstein
Hosts: Bridger Falkenstein, Caleb Boston, and Melissa Benintendi
Filmographer: Tyler Wassam
Podcast Editor: Jamie Eggert
Original Music Composers: Bridger Falkenstein and Caleb Boston
Show Notes: Jamie Eggert & Jordan Murray