How Your Brain Gets Small
Listen in to hear Caleb and Bridger continue their discussion of Leonard Koziol and Colleague’s work on large-scale brain systems.
This episode is the first of two episodes covering the second article in the four part series. To follow along with the episode, download the article here:
The Small-World Organization of Large-Scale Brain Systems and Relationships with Subcoritcal Structures
Here’s the abstract from the article: Brain structure and function is characterized by large-scale brain systems. However, each system has its own ‘‘small-world’’ organization, with sub-regions, or ‘‘hubs,’’ that have varying degrees of specialization for certain cognitive and behavioral processes. This article describes this small-world organization, and the concepts of functional specialization and functional integration are defined and explained through practical examples. We also describe the development of large-scale brain systems and this small-world organization as a sensitive, protracted process, vulnerable to a variety of influences that generate neurodevelopmental disorders.
Did you know? After full completion of Beyond Healing Institute’s Somatic Integration and Processing training, each participant can receive 21 NBCC hours.
Beyond Healing Center
- Visit our website for all things BHC
- Contact us about retreats and therapy
- Contact us about training and consultation
Beyond Healing Media
- First, listen to our past episodes of EBT here
- Then, check out more Beyond Healing podcasts
- Give your support and gain access to exclusive content through Patreon
Interested in supporting a child?
- 100% of the proceeds donated to the Burntout Educator will provide therapy for a child in the public school system.
- Not therapy capped at a certain number, but an open-ended relationship with a highly qualified therapist in the BHC network.
Connect with us on social media: Facebook & Instagram
Executive Directors: Jennifer and Ryan Savage, Melissa Bentinnedi, Bridger Falkenstein
Hosts: Bridger Falkenstein, Caleb Boston, and Melissa Benintendi
Filmographer: Tyler Wassam
Podcast Editor: Jamie Eggert
Original Music Composers: Bridger Falkenstein and Caleb Boston
Show Notes: Jamie Eggert & Jordan Murray