Theory Creation and BHI – Ep. 15
Listen to hear the senior clinicians at BHC discuss theory creation and Beyond Healing Institute. Feeling inspired? Reach out today to discuss your ideas and perspective!
“We have to understand theory as an ever-evolving myth of humanity” (22:12).
Beyond Healing Institute (BHI) & Theory Creation
“The institute feels like it’s one of science, story, friendship, and healing” (7:04).
- Our trainings aim to equip therapists to practice psychotherapy and create a community with a variety of healers.
- You don’t need to know the most cutting-edge research or jargon.
- Instead, if you’re interested in joining the discussion, come as a subject, and let’s make meaning together.
- BHI focuses on the synthesis of diverse perspectives.
- We strive to create an opportunity for people like you to feel invited to start experimenting with lending your voice.
The BHI Perspective on Theory
“If we get so rigid and strict on one specific theory or theorist, how much are we limiting ourselves in experiencing the community” (17:29)?
- This perspective on theory is likely not what you were taught in college.
- Most of us are taught to engage with research as if it is the truth.
- Theory creation at BHI isn’t about finding one ultimate truth.
- We are not trying to create a definitive theory.
- Instead, we’re creating an interpretive framework, a meta-theory.
- To clarify, a meta theory encompasses multiple other theories to bring synthesis and clarity.
- There is a tendency for people to question the “rightness” of a theory.
- What if that’s just not an applicable question?
- A ‘debunked’ theory is one that has evolved.
- To be perfectly clear, that is exactly what is supposed to happen.
- Be wary of the Red Herring Fallacy in conversations regarding research and truth.
Theory as Myth
- In our culture, myth often means untrue.
- However, myth is a way of expressing complex realities in a symbolic form.
- Stories communicate much more and reach a larger audience than a single truth.
- Theory needs to be believable, not proven.
- Believable means we’re operating right on the edge of where science currently is.
- For instance, very little of neuroscience has been proven.
- However, there is a lot that is believable based on our current evidence.
- Visit our website for all things BHC
- Give your support and gain access to exclusive content through Patreon
- Contact us about retreats and therapy
- Contact us about trainings and consultation
Need more content?
- First, listen to our past episodes of EBT here
- Then, check out more Beyond Healing podcasts
- Notice That – An EMDR podcast
- Beyond Healing – geared towards clients
- Burnt Out Educator (coming soon!)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download